Tuesday 19 May 2015

My Real Techniques Brush Collection and Review

BEFORE YOU READ: I would like to just say that this is a long but very informative blog post which took me a while to write and sort out so please read carefully. Also I am not in anyway connected to Real Techniques. They are not sponsoring me and all opinions are my own. 

 Okay so I was a bit late,okay make that very late, onto the Real Techniques party bus. They had always been brushes that had interested me but I never had gotten round to making a purchase. So for my 15th birthday my mum bought me three of the individual brushes; the powder brush, the blush brush and the expert face brush. She also bought me the eye brushes kit. And that is  when i really fell in love with these super amazing makeup brushes. Then about a week ago  I went to my Nannas and she had bought me core collection without even knowing that i wanted them or that i had the others. After using the core collection over the past week it's safe to say I am well and truly hooked on these brushes, I do have more makeup brushes but I have barely used them since having my Real Techniques brushes.

WARNING! IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED BY DIRTY MAKEUP BRUSHES I AM VERY SORRY. I have cleaned them all a few days ago but i don't have enough brushes to be able to clean them each time I use them and be able to use clean fresh ones the next day :)

Okay so first of all here is a little run down of the individual brushes I own

The Powder Brush
Description from the Real Techniques website; Evenly applies powders and mineral foundations for smooth, high definition results.
 The first thing you notice with this brush is that it is HUGE. It is perfect for a quick application of loose and pressed face powders and powder foundation. I've noticed that this brush picks up a lot of product but it always evenly distributes the products and not one single powder i have used with this brush has looked cakey on my face which is such a bonus! I use mine with pressed powder and powder foundation.  Rating: 4.5/5

The Blush Brush

Description from the Real Techniques website; Contour and define cheeks for flawlessly blended, high definition results.

Now you may be able to see from the photo that I'm not the only person that really enjoyed this brush, my puppy also enjoyed chewing this brush when she was left alone in the house for the first time and the brush must have fallen from the kitchen counter- nice little anecdote for you there.  :) Anyyywayyyy... This brush is perfect for its purpose of applying blush directly where you would want it and that is partly because of the shape of it; it is slightly tapered and really round at the base which allows you to be able to get a heavy blush  application by covering the whole brush with blusher or you can get a precise amount of blush exactly where you want it by only applying product to the tip of the brush. I wouldn't recommend this brush with cream/liquid blushes which is why I use mine for powder blush only. Rating; 5/5

Expert Face Brush

Description from the Real Techniques website; Ultra firm and broad for application and blending of cream or liquid foundation.

Now, I used this brush for a while to blend my foundation into my skin. But one day my sister pointed out to me that I had lots of brush streaks on my face from where I had been applying the foundation, so this brush was well and truly in my bad books for a good 3 months until I was rewatching one of Tanya  Burr's videos (Eleanor Calder makeup tutorial)and i noticed that she was using this brush to blend in a small amount of cream blush into the apples of her cheeks which left her with such a beautiful, natural glow. So I tried this with my only cream blush(MUA One direction cream blush ) and OMG the natural glow I acheived by using this brush was amazing! I would say that the brush is good for applying foundation but you need to really blend like crazy and then rub any brushstrokes in with your fingers which is just adding another step into your routine. However i don't think that I would ever use another tool for applying cream blushes ever again because I am so pleased with the finish I get when using this brush.
Rating:  foundation application; 3/5. Cream blush application;  4.9/5 .

So those are the three brushes I got last July for my birthday and they are all still going strong even despite the dog attack my blush brush went through ;) . So continuing on with the face brushes theme now i shall talk about the Core Collection.
The core collection is a collection of four brushes which are made to create the perfect base for your makeup.Now when reading other reviews of this brush kit most people have said that they only bought it for the buffing brush and the contour brush and that they havent found use for the foundation brush and the detailer brush. For me I have found a use for each of them and I love them. Also the handy case it comes with that doubles as a stand is so useful for traveling.

The Buffing Brush.

Description from the Real Techniques website; Ideal for full coverage application of powder and mineral foundation.

WOW! This is by far the best foundation brush I have ever used. I dont use it for powder of mineral foundation I use it for liquid foundation application. It is a lot less dense than the expert face brush which means that it doesn't leave brush marks on the skin. When used to buff any liquid foundation onto the the skin it gives such a flawless coverage that makes the skin look so natural no matter what type of coverage your foundation is. It is also easy to get a professional look even if - like me- you aren't a professional makeup artist. Rating. 5/5!!!


The Pointed Foundation Brush.

Description from the Real Techniques website; Use with liquid foundation to build custom coverage.

I really do like this brush although not for foundation, this is no fault of the brush though, me and flat foundation brushes have never had the best relationship.The size of this brush makes it perfect for highlighting the cheekbones and the brow bone, Because it is pretty small for a foundation brush and the fact that it's pointed makes it perfect to put just the right amount of highlight exactly where you want it. I also quite like this brush for applying a neutral skin toned colour all over the lid because for me it is the perfect size. Rating; 3/5

The Detailer Brush

Description from the Real Techniques website; Precision cut to effortlessly conceal problem areas; or , use with lipstick for long lasting shape and definition.
This tiny pointed brush goes hand in hand with my concealer palette! Because of its tiny size it is so easy to distribute the concealer onto the tiniest blemish without having to put loads of concealer onto your face. I dont like this brush for the actual blending of the concealer especially around the eyes as I find it tends to pull the skin under my eye which isn't good. But all in all I do have a soft spot (haha spot,concealer..no pun intended)for this brush. Rating; 4 out of 5

The Contour Brush

Description from the Real Techniques website; Delicately applies highlighter to contour or create sheer,soft-focus finish.
Thank you Sam and Nic Chapman for creating a brush so fricking marvelous! Contouring has always been something that I have wanted to do because I really like the way by face looks with a bit of depth and dimension, but i have never found a brush that makes the bronzer apply so perfectly. Usually i look like i have put brown army stripes onto my cheekbones and around my face which is not a good luck. Because the brush is small but fluffy, it allows a small amount of bronzer to blend out effortlessly to give the perfect finish.  THIS BRUSH IS AMAZING! Rating; 5/5!

So there you have it, a run down on my favourite face brushes. Now Im going to do a review on the Starter Kit which contains 5 eye brushes; the deluxe crease brush, base shadow brush,brow brush,accent brush and fine liner brush. I will review all of them except for the fine liner brush because quite frankly I found it as much use as a chocolate fire alarm so I threw it away.

Deluxe Crease Brush

Description from the Real Techniques website; Soft,oversized design for effortless contouring.
This is the brush that I always go to in order to blend my concealer. The reason I don't use this for the crease of my eye is because it is so big it doesn't really give the desired effect. I like this brush for buffing in concealer especially around the eye because it is very dense and soft which really acts like a mini buffing brush. Good for blending in concealer but not great for contouring the crease. Rating:⅗

Base Shadow Brush


Description from the Real Techniques website; Applies a smooth, flawless foundation of colour.

I LOVE this brush so much, It is perfect for applying a light wash of colour over the lid to form a lovely natural base for your eyeshadow look or it even looks good when applied by itself because of its slightly domed shape. Also this brush is lovely to blend out harsh lines in the the makeup look. Rating; 5/5

Accent Brush

Description from the Real Techniques website; For precision detailing,highlighting and smudging.

I'm not going to lie, this isnt one of my most used brushes but I do really find this useful when it comes to creating a smokey eye whether it be to smudge eyeliner across the lid or to add highlight right into the inner corner. A good brush but doesn't really make a difference to my makeup if I can't find it. Rating; 2/5

Brow Brush.

Description from the Real Techniques website;Distinctive shape easily defines eyebrows

Again this brow brush is good however it isn't a brush I can't live without. I do use it when i want a really sharp defined brow but for my everyday makeup I use the brush side of an Eyelash comb dipped in powder to create a natural look. Good quality but I could do without it. Rating 2/5

Well Guys that was a super long blog post to kick things off but I hope you have got an insight into what my opinions are of these products and hopefully if you are looking into these brushes you know feel more in the know.

Have a great day! :)
~Aimee...x

No comments:

Post a Comment