Thursday 25 June 2015

Growing Up.

It's Aimee here guys.

Now I understand that the title of this posts makes it sound alot like I am about to talk about periods and erections. I'm not for a few reasons; it's awkward, I don't have a penis much to some peoples surprise, nor do I have much experience with them either...In all seriousness guys I want to talk to you about what it feels like to grow up in terms of responsibilities and life after school.

Background Information about post 16 options in the UK.

If you have read our other posts you will know that Chloe and I have just finished secondary school(if you're not from the UK, secondary school is education between the ages of 11 and 15/16 years old) and I can honestly say that the thought of me not being in secondary school anymore scares me.

When you turn 16 in the UK you now have to go onto further education for two years. You can do this by either attending college,sixth form(a smaller college either on the grounds of or inside your secondary school) or by doing an apprenticeship(a method of learning on the job, you get paid a small salary whilst working and learning about your chosen profession.) If you go to college you can choose to learn about one certain profession such as hairdressing or car mechanics etc or you can do your a levels( I will explain more about these further down.) Sixth form is just for studying A-Levels.

If you decide to study A-Levels you will do so in either sixth form or college. A-Levels are subjects that you will study for two years in great detail. Alot of the time you pick your A-levels around the career path you want to go down but also some people choose the subject they enjoy most. You can choose to do 3 or 4 subjects to study at A-level.

What I have decided to do.

I have decided to do my A-levels at the sixth form that is on the same grounds as my old secondary school. I have decided to study; Childcare,English Literature and Double award Health and social care. The reason I have picked these subjects is because I have not quite decided what I want to do as my job in the future but I do know that I would like to work in the care industry which is why I have decided to do double award Health and social care. I worked in a children's nursery for my work experience and I loved it so I would also like to work with children hence why I took childcare. I took English Literature because I enjoyed it at GCSE and hope that it will get me reading more.

The reason I decided to go to sixth form instead of college is because, and I am being honest, I wouldn't be able to cope with being around so many people; The college near us holds about 2000 students and it is huge whereas the sixth form has about 70 students in and is pretty small in comparison. I have anxiety which not many people know about, it is only mild anxiety but I get quite nervous around lots of people and I think I would be always too worried about being around the many people that I probably wouldn't be focussing on my work- as stupid as that sounds. With sixth form the atmosphere is so calm and relaxing which is perfect for little miss I hate crowds over here! Also, I know most if not all of the people at the sixth form because they went to my previous school which means awkward introductions are unnecessary. I just feel that sixth form is the best option for me and hopefully I will still agree when I begin.

Why I am scared to join sixth form is purely for one reason. I am in charge of how much I learn. At A-level, the teachers teach(wow no shit sherlock) and we have to make notes in our notebooks, what we don't get written down,we don't learn, it's our own fault. In secondry the teachers tell you the important things to write down and they will go over things you don't understand until you do, In the sixth form, if you don't get something written down then it is your job to find the teacher in your free time to catch up. That's what scares me the most. Being the master of my own future, being responsible for my own success. Arghhhhhh.Such a stressful time.
Anyway, Chloe and I have our Sixth form induction day tomorrow and I have mixed feelings if I am honest. In a way I am nervous because I am going to be meeting the teachers I will be having for the next 2 years and also the other people in my classes and the people in year 13 who will be there in September. But also I am excited because I hate not knowing about things that are going to happen and at the moment sixth form is one big confusing blurrr.. at least tomorrow I will know a lot more.
Any way I shall update you on how we get on.
Thats all guys,
Aimeexx        

                                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment